Monday, November 22, 2004

'We Love Black Folks Contest' has revealed some real losers

Gregory Kane of the Baltimore Sun travels to Harvard to challenge black liberal thinking; just how right is Bill Cosby? As usual, a good read.//JW sends.

I spent three days in Cambridge, where members of the Trotter Group, an organization of black columnists, held their annual meeting. There were several symposiums held with liberal cognoscenti in the Charles Hotel and at several places on the Harvard campus. One was in the Nieman Foundation's Knight Center, where Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint led a discussion called "How Right Was Bill Cosby?"

After admitting that Cosby had erred in his assertion that teen pregnancy was rising and clarifying the comedian's data about the drop-out rate among black teens (it is as high as Cosby said) Poussaint, apparently assuming that all black columnists have liberal DNA, asserted that "You wouldn't expect [Justice] Clarence Thomas to love black people. You wouldn't expect black conservatives to love black people."

I felt compelled to mention to Poussaint that, as a conservative who loves black people, I had a problem with his assertion. At any rate, I didn't know there was a contest going on. Will all the winners of the "We Love Black Folks Contest" please raise their hands?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home